Understanding the Reasons Behind Weight Loss Failures

The concept of weight loss closely aligning with wellness concepts has evolved significantly over the years. In fact, today, weight loss and the whole perception of one’s weight have a huge influence on self-esteem and confidence levels. 

However, despite the many methods, strategies, and choices people have nowadays to shred extra pounds and tone their bodies, most weight loss programs fail. On average, 90% of weight loss initiatives don’t meet expected goals. In this, 80% of the people will not be able to maintain their progress, and in some cases, they regain more than half of what they lost through the period. 

According to wellness experts, dieticians, nutritionists, and fitness coaches, here are some key reasons why weight loss doesn’t work, what you could be doing wrong, and how to fix them. 

Setting Unrealistic Goals

Having a clear understanding of your weight loss goals is crucial to setting the right foundation for this journey. Remember, weight loss is a lifestyle; the results take time and perseverance. 

Having unrealistic goals can make you feel overwhelmed and stressed when you don’t meet them. This can do more harm to your progress than encourage you to push through. Always set short-term goals that align with your lifestyle and other medical conditions if you have any. 

Most importantly, be consistent and mindful of the 80:20 rule, which says you can achieve healthy weight loss by focusing on your diet 80% of the time and the rest 20% on exercise. 

Too Much Focus on Calories

Weight loss requires you to get into a calorie deficit. However, this doesn’t mean you should deprive your body of the essential nutrients it needs to function effectively. Focus on the content of your meals rather than the number of calories. 

When your body doesn’t get enough calories, it will only lose lean body weight rather than body fat. This happens mainly because your body goes into starvation mode and begins to store fat. Losing lean weight, also known as muscle mass, will slow your metabolism, making it even more difficult to lose weight. 

Cutting too many calories can also easily lead to binge eating after a long day. Rather than focusing on calories, adapt your diet to a healthy lifestyle with mindful food choices. Get enough protein, vegetables, and whole grains in your meals. This can help you nourish your body to keep it healthy and fueled to function properly.

Over Exercising

There is a common misconception that the more you workout, the more you can lose weight. The fun fact is that exercise only helps your weight loss journey by 20%; the rest, 80%, comes from a proper, clean diet. 

Working out too much while maintaining a calorie deficit for weight loss can deprive your body of the calories it needs for energy. This easily leads to fatigue and stress. As a response, your body can start to crave high-calorie food, making you overeat and adding extra calories, thereby leading to weight gain. 

Moderate exercise is the only healthy way around weight loss. And be sure to listen to your body – if you’re feeling excessively tired or stressed, take a step back and rest. 

Poor Sleep And Stress Management 

Although often overlooked in modern times, sleep is the most important factor for a human’s overall physical and mental well-being. Poor sleep is one of the leading risk factors for obesity. 

Staying up late at night can also lead to cravings, making you binge eat. Adults should get at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night. It gives enough time for your body to rest and reset for the next day. 

At the same time, pay attention to your stress management. Too much stress can put your body into a survival mode, releasing hormones like cortisol. This hormone then causes the liver to convert proteins into carbohydrates, which the body stores as fat. So not only does stress break your weight loss progress, it can cause you to gain more weight. 

Medical and Physiological Conditions 

Some medical conditions like heart issues, diabetes, thyroid-related disease, and polycystic ovary syndrome can make it difficult to lose weight. Certain medications you take for any health condition can also make weight loss harder or contribute to weight gain. 

Similar to this, physiological conditions underlying hormonal imbalances, adrenal fatigue, gut conditions, thyroid dysfunctions or toxicity issues can prevent even the most dedicated person from losing weight or getting anywhere closer to their goals. 

These are the situations where advanced weight loss interventions through bariatric surgeries can be safe and effective. However, this decision requires a doctor’s consultation who will thoroughly examine your weight-loss challenges and identify if this is the best option.

  • Icon


    Contact Dr. Samir if you have any questions

  • Icon


    02 Jumeirah Beach Rd - opposite Burj Al Arab - Umm Suqeim - Jumeirah 3 - Dubai

Opening Hours:

9am-9pm (Saturday- Thursday)
9am-6pm (Saturday)